If you are a student, you need to have a business card. It’s plain and simple, especially if you are looking to network effectively and make successful connections within your university. Business cards are the way to build yourself up and also establish your personal brand.
Here are some of the basic reasons you need to have a business card as a student.
- Share your contact information – this is pretty basic. Without a business card, you find yourself writing your name and number or email address on any scrap paper found or a bar napkin. It is then likely to get thrown away because it looks like trash. With a business card, it is much more recognizable so it does not get tossed, and it looks much more professional.
- Professionalism – going along with the above point, if you are trying to network with people within your university community or local business people, not having a card to give back to them after getting theirs does not look professional. Solve this whole dilemma by GETTING BUSINESS CARDS NOW!
- Networking – if you are serious about making connections, then you need to have business cards. It happens to me and I am sure it happens to you all – after you meet someone and talk to them for a few minutes, you move on and start talking to someone else. Then after the night is over, you can not remember what the first person you talked to did. But, if you have their business card you can easily see their company name and probably a slogan on the card or you can look up their website to find out about them. The same thing goes for students. If your card is focused on use as a student, then you are likely to have your University/College name, your contact information, and your degree or program of study. This quickly gives someone a snapshot about you and helps refresh their memory about the conversation they had with you.
- Personal Branding – as a student and soon to be college graduate, you need to brand yourself in a certain way. Whether that be in your area of interest, a certain discipline, a certain industry, or based on your own company. Personal branding plays a huge role in college and having business cards is a way to help you stand out among your fellow students.
- Other “Partners” – college students like to party. So why not give out your business card when you are out at the bar, club, or party to give your information to prospective “partners”. I’ll leave it up to you which kind of partners you share your information with. I’m sure there are some who you do not want to have your number the next day.
Hopefully these tips help you out in deciding to get business cards printed up as a student.Ã‚Â Don’t think about whether you need them or not, think about what to put on them and how soon you can order them.
If you are looking for a good online printing company, I strongly recommend PrintPlace.com. They are a online printer that I have used many times and never had an issue with. The quality and range of products are great.
Best of luck,